Dark lips do not look good and this is why people often desire to have natural pink lips. People can have dark lips for several reasons like prolonged sun exposure, excessive intake of coffee or tea, allergies, and most commonly, smoking. At times, the reason behind dark lips can be genetic also.
There are many simple ways to fix this annoying problem.
Simple tips to lighten your dark lips, are:
- If you are a smoker, you need to quit smoking as soon as possible. The nicotine and tar present in cigarettes cause discoloration of lips.
- Too much coffee is not good for your lips as well as teeth. So, to avoid dark lips you must limit your caffeine intake. One or two cups of coffee a day will not cause any harm, but when consumed in excess it can darken your lips.
- Too much exposure to the harmful UV rays of the sun increases melanin pigment in the lips. This can cause lip darkening. So, before going out in the sun, apply lip balm on your lips with SPF/UV protectors.
- Chose your lip care products properly as usage of wrong or poor quality lip care products can make your lips dark. It is highly recommended to buy lip care products containing moisturizing ingredients from reputed brands only.
- Avoid prolonged and excessive use of lipsticks as it can cause lip pigmentation which in turn will darken your lips. Try to use lipstick only when you need them the most and never forget to remove your lipstick at the end of the day.
- It is very important to exfoliate your lips at least once every week to remove dead cells and dry skin from your lips, and improve blood circulation. Take little bit of petroleum jelly on a baby toothbrush and gently exfoliate your lips. After that rinse your lips properly and apply a lip moisturizer on your lips.
- Use lip moisturizer. Lips are more delicate than the skin on any other part of our body. Hence, they need to be kept moist to avoid developing dryness and cracks as well as dark lips. This is why regular moisturizing is very important to keep your lips soft and pink. To moisturize your lips you can use lip balm, petroleum jelly or even vegetable oil and milk cream can be used.
- To enjoy pink lips you need to keep your body well hydrated. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to keep hydrated. Along with water eat more water-content fruits like cucumber, watermelon, orange, grapefruit and lemon.
- Irrespective of how strong the urge is, you must not suck or lick the lips. Even the habit of biting lips should be avoided as there is the risk of damaging the outer surface of your lips.
- You can also try some easy home treatments to get rid of your dark lips. For instance, applying few drops of almond oil on your lips. before going to bed helps to lighten lips. You can also mix lemon juice with almond oil and apply it on your lips before going to bed, and leave it overnight to enjoy pink lips.
With the help of these tips you can surely enjoy pink and rosy lips. Follow these tips seriously for some time to get positive results.