With the onset of the winter days, most of us become worried about dry and flaky skin, a dull face and chapped lips. There are a number of reasons, both internal and external behind these winter skin problems.
The main cause is lack of humidity in the air due to which the skin becomes dry and flaky. Due to low temperature, the blood vessels in the skin become constricted which in turn reduces blood flow to the skin and oil producing glands in the body. Less water content in the skin causes extensive dryness. At the same time improper skin care routine, lack of essential nutrients in the diet plan, not drinking enough fluid and use of wrong products can play a significant role in winter related skin problems.
If you are worried about winter skin problems, do not worry. By adapting some healthy habits you can easily get rid of all your skin related problems this winter.
Here are the top tips on how to take extra care of your skin this season.
- Eat a balanced diet, which contains vital nutrients. Foods that improve skin health, especially in winter must be included in your diet plan. Some of the foods that you need to eat more are spinach, avocado, asparagus, grapes, oranges, celery, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, onions, strawberries, blueberries, grapes, papaya and apricots. To plan a healthy diet you can take help from www.helpguide.org
- During the winter people often do not get thirsty and hence do not drink much water. You must drink adequate water during the winter days also. This is the best and easiest way to hydrate your skin. Try to drink about eight to ten glasses of water daily. Herbal teas and fresh juice of fruits and vegetables are also good your winter skin.
- You must also do regular exercises. Exercise will do more than simply get your body in shape. It will clear your pores and increase your metabolism, as sweating takes out the toxins from the body through the skin, thereby cleansing the internal organs.
- Always wear sunscreen, preferably one suited for your skin during the winter days. People often do not use sunscreen during this winter as they think the sun rays will not cause damage to their skin. But in reality, be it winter or summer, the skin needs proper protection from the harmful UV rays of the sun.
- Special care of the skin is required during the night also. So, opt for a heavy night cream and apply it generously on the face and body before going to bed. This will help a lot to keep your skin in a healthy condition.
- Use a long lasting moisturizer twice a day, preferably on damp skin after taking your bath, before you dry your body completely. This will help to trap the moisture and keep the skin soft and supple. For oily skin, use a light moisturizer, which have been specifically created for oily skin.
- Daily cleanse your face as it is one of the most important steps of proper skin care routine. Wash your face with a mild cleanser and rinse with lukewarm water to gently remove dirt and excess oil. Avoid antibacterial soaps and very hot water.
- During the winter months instead of shower, try to soak in a nice warm bath. For better result add some Epsom salts and aroma therapy oil to your bath tub. It is recommended taking your bath two hours before going to bed.
- Exfoliate your skin once a week to remove flaky skin. You can use a commercial product to exfoliate your skin and make one at home using some almond oil and sugar. When exfoliating your skin try to be gentle or else you will cause damage to your skin.
- Chapped lips are a common winter issue and so you need to pay attention to your lips also. To get rid of chapped lips, first exfoliate your lips gently with a mixture of sugar and honey. Then apply some lip balm having mineral oil, beeswax or shea butter as the main ingredients. This will help you to enjoy pink and crack free lips. There are also many home remedies for chapped lips. You can check some of the remedies here at www.top10homeremedies.com
- During the winter days you also need to treat your hands and feet properly. Regular manicure and pedicure are must during the winter as the harsh climatic conditions can affect your hands and nail beds. Also do not forget to apply some good quality hand and foot cream throughout the winter days.
- Using a humidifier inside the house will help keep the skin moist even during winter. A humidifier will increase the humidity or moisture in the environment. You can opt for a humidifier appliance and get yourself a few houseplants and place them around your house.
Things to avoid
- Caffeine, alcohol, soft drinks and fried foods should be avoided as such items can make your skin drier.
- Those having dry skin must avoid using toners as they tend to dry it out even more.
- Do not use alcohol-based astringents, wipes and colognes as such products are not good for your skin.
- Avoid prolonged hours inside a room having central healthy system as this can rob your skin of moisture. Instead of remaining inside the room, try to take regular breaks and go for a walk out in the sun.
- Avoid going to bed with makeup. Remove all your make-up at the end of the day so that your skin breathes and look healthy.
So, it’s time to dedicate little of your time daily to your skin and you can soon see huge transformation and there will be compliments coming your way.