Winter days are beautiful but as the air is dry it can make your hair dry, unmanageable, brittle, and your scalp can become flaky and itchy leading to dandruff. The main reason behind these hair problems during the winter days is the varying temperature. Outside in the open, the air is cold or rather chilly but inside you get surrounded by dry heat.
Here are some tips to maintain healthy and gorgeous hair during the winter months:
Oil your hair properly:
Due to the change in temperature indoor and outdoor, it is very necessary to oil your hair properly to avoid them from breakage. You must opt for a hot oil treatment to promote a healthy scalp and nourished hair. Use warm oil to massage your hair and scalp for at least one or two hours to restore the moisture of your hair. It also increases scalp blood circulation. Some of the hair oils that you can use are coconut, almond, olive, jojoba or rosemary oil. Such kind of oils can replenish the natural nutrients in your hair and scalp. To know the proper technique of oiling your hair, check this site: www.hairboutique.com
Do not use too much of shampoo:
Cold winter winds can make your hair and scalp dry. This is why beauty experts advice not to shampoo your hair daily. You much shampoo your hair not more than twice a week. Also, never use very hot water for washing your hair as it can leave your scalp dry and flaky and your hair brittle. It is better to wash your hair with lukewarm water in order to retain the moisture of your hair.
Apply hair conditioner:
To fight against winter hair problems, you must not forget to apply a good conditioner every time you wash your hair. By using a conditioner you can increase the elasticity, strength and shine of your hair. Always choose a conditioner as per your hair type. There is no need to apply conditioner on your scalp. You must apply conditioner only on the hair strands. You can also use coconut milk as a natural conditioner. Coconut milk will provide a nice shine to your hair and also prevent them from breakage. After using a conditioner, use lukewarm water for the last rinse as it will lock in the moisture and seal the ends.
Say no to hairdryer:
After washing your hair during the winter days, you must allow your hair to dry naturally. Avoid using hair dryers during winter months. Too much exposure to heat coming from hairdryer will make your hair frizzy and damaged. If due to some reason, you need to use a hairdryer, do not over dry your hair. Also use the hair dryer after setting it at the minimum temperature. Your hair may take longer time to dry but the shine in your hair will be worth trying it.
Cover your hair:
Irrespective of whether you are inside or outside, you need to cover your hair. Whenever you are outside, you need to protect your hair from cold winds, by wearing a scarf, a hat or a cap. When you are inside, wear a light scarf to protect your hair from the dry air coming from indoor heating systems. This will help to lock the moisture of your hair. You need to make sure that your scarf or cap is not too tight as it can hamper proper blood flow in the scalp. Also avoid using woolen caps and scarves as this kind of material can rub against and pull on delicate hair which can lead to hair breakage. If using woolen caps and scarves try to sew a satin or silk lining inside it.
Some more tips:
- After applying hair oil you need to massage your hair with the help of your finger tips for at least fifteen minutes.
- A balanced diet is essential for healthy hair. Try to eat protein based foods as well fruits and vegetables that are high in water content.
- As a natural conditioner, you can use coconut milk on your hair after washing your hair.
- To keep your hair moisturized during winter days, you can use a hair serum or cream.
- If you are suffering from dandruff then you can treat it with some natural remedies. You can find some easy remedies here at www.top10homeremedies.com
- Try to keep your hair tied up as much as possible, particularly when you are outside, and especially when exercising.
- After shampooing and conditioning your hair, for the final rinse use cold water as it will help to seal in the moisturizer.
- Include a hair treatment mask once a week to your hair care routine.
- You can bring new life to your hair with a haircut to get rid of split ends. Get your split ends trimmed in every six weeks to promote healthy hair.
- Do not go out of your house with wet hair as it can make your hair fragile, due to which your hair can break easily.
- As room heating dehydrates your hair strands, you need to put a humidifier or large bowl of water in one corner of all heated rooms. This will counteract the problem of hair dryness.
- Try to be extra careful when towel-drying your hair in winter. Do not rub your wet hair vigorously, instead, gently blot your hair dry and then allow it to air dry as much as possible.
- Using flat beer or vinegar for the last rinse is great way to bring shine to your hair.
- Always use a wide tooth wooden comb and do not to comb your hair when it is wet.
To sum up, it is true that winter can take its toll on your hair, but with the above mentioned tips and suggestions you can keep your hair in the best shape possible even during the winter days.