With the arrival of winter days, many people start having the problems of dry skin, dandruff, chapped lips and also cracked heels. However, the problem of cracked heels is very common and many people suffer from it. The foot lacks moisture and as a result, it is very easy for the skin to become dry and this ultimately causes cracked heels, especially during the winter days.
Main causes behind cracked heels in winter
- Lack of moisture
- Diseases such as diabetes, eczema , thyroid and circulatory problems
- Too much pressure on the foot due to standing and walking
- Cold dry weather
- Hot baths and showers
- Central heating
- Insufficient intake of Zinc, vitamin E and essential omega 3 fatty acids
- Being overweight may also cause cracked heel.
To know more about the causes, check this site www.beflattered.com
Symptoms of cracked heels
- The skin around the heels will become thick and rough.
- Itching may happen due to dryness
- There will be signs of flaking skin
- At times bleeding may occur if cracks are deep
- Infection can happen in severe cases
Cracked heels can be easily cured or prevented so that you can enjoy soothing and soft heels throughout the year.
Proper foot care plan
Due to lack of adequate foot care, you can suffer from fissures or ugly cracks on your heels. Such skin problems can lead to pain and infection and you will find it difficult to walk and stand for long hours. So the first thing that you need to do to avoid cracked heels is to follow a healthy foot care regimen.
- During the winter days, your skin needs extra moisture and so whenever you get the chance throughout the day; rub a good quality moisturizer into your heels and the soles of your feet. It is very important to apply some moisturizer before going to bed and wear a pair of cotton socks to retain the moisture throughout the night. Avoid wearing tight socks at night as it can disrupt the blood circulation.
- Go for a pedicure at least two times in a month. You can get a pedicure from a beauty salon or do it yourself at home. For a home pedicure you need soak your feet in warm soapy water for a few minutes, scrub it gently and then wash it again. Pat dry your feet with a clean towel and then with the help of foot file, gently file any rough callused areas. Finally massage your feet with a foot cream for a few minutes.
- At the same time regularly scrub your feet with a pumice stone to remove the dead skin cells. Once the dead skin cells are removed the skin around the feet will look better.
- During the winter days you need to protect your feet from the cold as direct exposure to cold weather can cause more dryness. So, before going out, wear socks and shoes.
- It is also important to wear shoes that are of exact size of your feet. Tight or loose shoes are not recommended. It is advisable to buy new shoes in the evening to get the right size. Also it is recommended to wear shoes that are resistant to water and wind.
- Once in a day massage the feet gently with the help of your finger tips. Try to put pressure on the points in order to improve the blood circulation. For massaging you can use coconut oil or olive oil.
For a healthy skin you need to be healthy from inside. So, to treat cracked heels you need to eat a well balanced diet.
You must eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, grains, and fiber. These foods give your body the vitamins and minerals it needs for good health. Add fish to your diet. Fish, especially cold-water fish like salmon, are high in essential fatty acids that help fight free radical damage and keep skin soft. Other food products like margarine and eggs also contain a good amount of Omega 3 fatty acids. Also try to avoid eating processed foods, sugar, soda, and fast food. To fulfill the daily requirement of essential vitamins and minerals you can also take daily supplements. But it is recommended to consult a doctor first before taking any dietary supplement.
During the winter season, cold weather, winds and hot central heating systems suck out moisture from the skin. So, it is very essential to maintain the moisture level of your body by drinking plenty of water throughout the day. To keep your body well hydrated drink eight to ten glasses of water daily. Water will flush out toxins from your body and help to keep your skin look healthy. Along with water you must also drink coconut water and other fresh fruit and vegetable juices. Also cut back on caffeine, soda, and tea as such drinks can dehydrate your body. Always remember that a well hydrated body will keep your skin soft and supple and it will not become dry easily.
For a proper diet plan for cracked heels, check out this site: beauty-expertreviews.blogspot.in
Easy and simply natural treatments
Well, a proper foot care routine and healthy diet can help a lot. At the same there are several natural treatments that you can easily try at home to make your heels and foot look soft and attractive.
For instance, you can use ripe banana and avocado to treat cracked heels. Take one ripe banana or ripe avocado and mash it to make a paste. Apply this paste on clean feet and leave it for fifteen minutes. Then wash your feet with lukewarm water, pat dry it and apply some moisturizer. This particular remedy is mentioned at www.top10homeremedies.com where you can also find some more simple home treatments.
There is another sweet remedy mentioned at
makeupandbeauty.com. Mix sugar with some oil such as olive, coconut or jojoba oil and use it to scrub your feet. This is one of the sweetest and easiest cures for cracked heels.
Another website homeremedies.ygoy.com recommends using papaya to treat cracked heels. Mix papaya and lemon juice to form a thick paste, apply this paste on the affected area and wash it off after half an hour. This will help to keep the dry skin area moisturized.
Some more tips:
- Never attempt to cut or shave off hard skin around your heels, leave it to the professionals.
- Avoid long hot baths and showers as it can make your skin dry.
- Also try to use mild soaps or moisturizing bath and shower oils and gels.
- During the winter months, avoid wearing back-open sandals or shoes. Such kind of footwear will allow the fat under the heel to expand sideways and worsening the condition of your cracked heels.
- Avoid wearing socks for a longer period of time. It is essential to allow your feet to breath. While indoor do not wear socks and if possible walk barefoot for half an hour daily. This will allow your bones and muscles to stretch and move freely.
- During the winter days it is advisable not to take very hot showers to avoid dehydration of skin. Instead take warm showers.
- Avoid standing on hard floors or damp areas barefoot for long hours at a stress as much as possible.
- Try to maintain healthy weight as being overweight can put pressure on your feet pads which can be the reason behind your dry cracked feet.
The skin on your feet needs love and attention all year, not just in the summer. With a little care, your feet can look and feel beautiful all year. However if the problem of cracked heels is getting severe, then it is essential to see a doctor. A doctor can examine the heels deeply and suggest some medicines.