With the arrival of winter months, there are many winter skin problems that can make your life miserable. One such problem is dry, cracked and painful lips. Many people wonder as why their lips become dry especially during the winter months. Well, this is mainly because the skin of the lips is very thin and there are few oil glands to help keep them moisturized. And as during the winter days the environment lacks moisture, the lips become dry.
Furthermore, dry lips can also be due to lack of nutrients, some kind of allergic reaction, cold, and too much use of excessive indoor heating system and so on. To know about other reasons behind dry lips, you can visit www.doctoroz.com
Irrespective of what is the exact reason behind your dry and cracked lips, there are some easy and simple ways to eradicate the problem.
Some of the tips are:
- It’s very common to lick the lips to alleviate the discomfort. But this common practice does more harm to your cracked lips due to the digestive enzymes and bacteria present in saliva. As soon as you lick your lips, for some time you get comfort but when the moisture evaporates into the dry and cold air, your lips become even drier. Instead of licking your lips apply a moisturizer or lip balm throughout the day.
- You may have dry and cracked lips due to some allergic reaction. If you think this is the reason behind your chapped lips, you must have a close look at the products like toothpaste, mouthwash, lip balm and lipstick. Stop using a product having flavoring agent, cinnamate, oxybenzone, and dyes and so on for a week or two. If you see an improvement in the condition of your lips then do not use the products again or else try some other tips.
- To prevent and repair chapped lips, you must apply a lip balm or petrolatum-based ointment onto your lips throughout the day. A lip balm will seal in moisture and form a protective barrier so that your lips remain healthy and pink.
- A dehydrated body can also cause your lips to crack. So, during the winter months make extra effort to keep your body well hydrated. You can do this by drinking ample amounts of water daily. Try to drink about ten glasses of water daily and eat more fruits and vegetables that are high in water content.
- It has been found that chapped and dry lips can also be due to some kind of vitamin deficiency. Some of the B complex vitamins like niacin (vitamin B3) and riboflavin (vitamin B2) boost your skin’s ability to retain moisture. Include lots of green vegetables, lentils, beans, dairy products and nuts in your diet plan to enjoy smooth and moisturized lips and skin. If eating a well balanced diet is not possible for you, then it is a good idea to take a multivitamin supplement after consulting a doctor. You can also try some easy natural remedies to get rid of dry lips. To know about such remedies, visit www.top10homeremedies.com
- Exfoliate your lips once or twice a week in order to remove the flaky, dry skin that can build up on chapped lips. Gently rub your lips with a dampened soft washcloth or toothbrush, or use a lip scrub to remove dead skin. Once done, you can notice smooth and soft lips.
- Heated indoor air is actually very dry that can cause chapped lips. So it’s a good idea to set up a humidifier. Maintaining a 30 to 40 percent indoor humidity level during the winter months will be good both for your skin and lips.
If after following the above mentioned tips, you can’t seem to cure your dry and chapped lips, you must pay a visit to your doctor to help figure out the exact cause behind the problem. Always remember that pre-cancerous condition, thyroid disease or an autoimmune disorder or medicines may also cause lip dryness as a side effect.