Dandruff is a very common hair problem that nearly all people experience at one point of time in their lives. Dandruff is a fungal infection that causes itchy scalp having flakes of dead skin cells.
This hair problem becomes more prominent during the winter months. The chilly and windy days of winter months tend to make the scalp dry, flaky, scaly, and itchy. However, dandruff can also be due to improper diet plan, excessive perspiration, use of harsh shampoos and living in a polluted area. Emotional stress can even be the reason behind dandruff.
Dandruff is not a serious health condition but it causes social embarrassment. This is why you need to make efforts to treat and prevent them. Preventing dandruff is a challenging task but with a proper hair care routine you can control it to a great extent.
Some tips to help you deal with dandruff.
- Central heating in homes and offices during the winter months dries out hair and also increases the production of dead skin cells. This is why it is important to moisture to your environment. A humidifier will add the much-needed moisture to your environment without giving you a cold.
- You need to limit the use of hair styling as well heating treatments as it can aggravate the problem of dandruff. Avoid, or reduce the use of hair products like hair gels, mousse or hairspray, along with blower or any heat-based hair straightener.
- Start eating more foods that contain high amount of protein, zinc, B vitamins and certain fats like omega-3 fatty acids. You can even take supplements after consulting your doctor. You should avoid the saturated fatty acids as it contributes to the production of more skin oils in the scalp region. Read this article at www.healwithfood.org to know about the foods that can help to prevent dandruff.
- Brush your hair at least twice per day to eliminate the flakes from your scalp. Regularly brushing your hair helps to keep your scalp free of dead skin cells.
- Regular hair wash is highly essential to keep your scalp free of dandruff. This will help get rid of excess oil and flaky scalp skin that might block pores. Apply a dandruff shampoo to your scalp; massage gently for few minutes and then rinse it out. Use mild shampoos if you are washing your hair more than thrice a week. Stronger shampoos tend to make your scalp drier. Know about the eight best dandruff shampoos here at www.totalbeauty.com.
- Hot oil therapy is a good way of treating dandruff. However, make sure that you keep the oil only for about an hour or two and not longer. Hot oil therapy will deep condition your hair. Got oil therapy should be done hair once a week and for better result use olive or coconut oil. Hot oil therapy has many benefits. You can know about the benefits here at www.hairfinder.com.
- You can use baking soda to treat winter dandruff. Wet your hair completely and take few tablespoons of baking soda into your hand and rub it on to your scalp gently with the help of your finger tips. This step will loosen up the dead skin cells and oily flakes. Finally rinse your hair with lukewarm water. Do this once in a week.
- Lemon juice can also be used to treat dandruff at home. Apply two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice directly onto your scalp and massage it gently using your finger tips. Rinse your hair completely with warm water. Do this every time you wash your hair. Some more interesting remedies for dandruff are mentioned at www.top10homeremedies.com
- Hair masks must also be used on hair to retain its beauty. You must use yogurt on your hair as it is regarded as one of the best natural protein conditioners for hair. Take plain yogurt and apply it on your hair and gently wrap it with a towel. Leave for about ten to twenty minutes and then wash your hair thoroughly. This hair mask will help you to get rid of dry hair and dandruff.
- Too much stress in life can exacerbate dandruff. So, learn how to manage stressful situations by practicing yoga, meditating, or listening to soft music.
So, it’s time to follow these tips and start flaunting your lustrous locks in this winter days!