Due to freezing temperature, low humidity and windy air, winter months can be really harsh on the skin and can cause many skin problems. During winter months, your skin needs little extra care and attention. However, during the winter days, many people suffer from some common winter skin problems.
Here are four common winter skin problems:
Winter skin problem #1: Extremely Dry Skin
Due to cold wind and wearing woolen clothes throughout the day, most often people suffer from dry, flaky and even itchy skin. The main reason behind this common winter skin problem is lack of moisturizer. In the winter months you should apply a good quality moisturizer at least once a day, but if you have extremely dry, flaky skin, then you should apply moisturizer at least three to four times a day. For better result, use a moisturizer having occlusive ingredients such as petrolatum or mineral oil that prevent evaporation and water loss from the skin.
Winter skin problem #2: Chapped Lips
Most people also suffer from chapped lips during cold winter months. This happens because lips do not have oil glands and hence they can become extremely dry easily. To get rid of this common skin care problem, you need to use a good lip balm or chap stick to keep your lips soft, healthy and moist. At the same time, you must also avoid licking your lips in winter to keep them moist.
Winter skin problem #3 Sun Burn
Sun burn is also a very common skin problem during the winter days. This happens because people often neglect the importance of applying sunscreen to keep the skin protected from the harmful sunrays. Exposure to harmful sunrays can result in skin cancer, wrinkles and other skin problems. It is important to apply sunscreen in winter just as you do in the summer. Regular application of sunscreen will prevent sunburns, minimize the risk of cold sores coming out, prevent wrinkling, age spots and of course, skin cancer.
Winter skin problem #4 Chapped Hands
Many people suffer from chapped hands due to dry, cold weather. As the skin on the back of the hands is thin and cold weather may cause it to dry and crack leading to wrinkles. This problem can be solved by putting your hands in gloves when leaving out. You must also apply hand cream during the winter months. This will help to keep your hands stay soft, smooth and healthy.
Some more winter skin care tips:
- During the winter, the air becomes colder and drier. Winter air often lacks moisture, which causes skin to become dry and very sensitive. This is why it is very essential to drink eight to ten glasses of water daily to skin your body well hydrated. Along with water, you must also try to eat fruits and vegetables that are high in water content such as apples, celery and cucumbers just to name a few.
- Also throughout the day, you need to use a gentle moisturizing cleanser first to nourish the skin and to avoid that tight feeling that you can get after washing your face.
- Also as dry indoor air can cause water to evaporate from the skin, leaving it dehydrated, tight and sometimes flaky, you must use a humidifier to replace the lost moisture that was in the air.
- When taking a bath, it is advisable to use lukewarm water and limit the time spent in the bath or shower. After taking a bath or shower, immediately apply some moisturizer on your skin. This will help the skin to retain moisture, which nourishes and soothes the skin.
- Before going out, you need to protect the skin from harmful sunrays. Always use a moisturizer with UVA and UVB protection into your skin before stepping out in the sun.
To conclude, if you are suffering from any of the above mentioned three common winter skin problems, then there is nothing to worry. Just follow the solutions religiously and nothing can stop you from enjoying healthy and glowing skin even during the harsh winter days.